[mailhist-discuss] PLATO's personal notes for the timeline

Brian Dear brian at platohistory.org
Fri Sep 18 14:35:26 PDT 2015

Thanks Dave. I kind of assumed the emphasis was on Internet and not a completely self-contained networked world of PLATO users, who numbered in the thousands and exceeded ARPANET user counts until around 1981 but had nothing to do with Internet. Still, I thought it worthwhile to mention PLATO’s own development of email because it happened pretty early on, and, because of its homogenous system architecture, didn’t require much in the way of standards and protocols in order for adoption to be swift and popular.

(As for teleconferencing, there were earlier programs built on PLATO for doing conferencing. Notes became the official, sanctioned, system program for conferencing on PLATO. But there were independent programs written before Notes. One infamous case involved both PLATO and ARPANET in 1973, and nearly resulted in both being shut down by a furious Nixon White House as the discussion centered on whether Nixon should be impeached, and how people could use these online forums to spread news about dates and times for anti-Nixon rallies on campuses nationwide.)

- Brian

Brian Dear
PLATO History Project
Santa Fe, NM