[mailhist-discuss] Question #2 for my story

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Tue Mar 24 08:59:45 PDT 2015

AOL seems the most plausible mail provider for an ordinary person at that
time. Compuserve would be a similar alternative. Both were available in
Canada. AOL integrated email and other functions into a special client
program installed on the computer being used to access the service.

"Hacking into" an account of a spouse, presumably living in the same house,
would involve no more than determining her password. With physical access to
the computer this could be done by hiding a nanny cam or by installing a key
logger. Neither needs particular skill, but as the husband could let a
hacker into the house that's trivial.

Armed with the password, reading the wife's email would be easy. Hiding
incoming messages from one sender might be harder. A question to research
would be whether either AOL or Compuserv offered scripts or filters to
process incoming mail. Compuserv was more technologically savvy, so might be
more likely to offer this. Spam was not yet an issue, especially as users of
these services paid for their connection time, with the result that spam
filters were unknown.

If you assume enormously well-developed coding skills of the hacker, the AOL
client software could be patched to hide messages from a particular account.

Best wishes,

Tom Haigh