[mailhist-discuss] Question #2 for my story

Suzanne Johnson fuhn at pobox.com
Sun Mar 22 19:39:16 PDT 2015

Mail programs, such as Eudora, at the time had a range of capabilities.
I am pretty sure Eudora, even back then, allowed one to set filters and
direct mail to various other folders.  Since Trash was just another one
of those folders, it likely was possible to filter all incoming mail and
direct email with a specific string in the "From" line into Trash, or
some other obscure folder set by someone with access to the account and
malicious intent.  In my mother's case, since I set up her mail system
for her and knew her passwords, I could have easily set up a filter to
send all mail from a particular person to another folder besides Inbox.
Since she was not a particularly accomplished mail user, it  would have
worked fairly well, she would not have been likely to find the other
folder, or check the Trash folder.  Although outgoing mail to the
person  would go through, nothing would ever come back, as long as they
did not change their mail address.

As Jack Haverty mentioned, systems in those days were not always well
protected.  In the case of the Texas ISP, he was not really interested
in computers or mail.  I believe he had answered an ad on how to make
money as an ISP and bought a package of hardware and software to get
started.  Any system passwords were probably left as they were rather
than being reset.  That in itself would allow for some more
possibilities for access.

   --Suzanne