[mailhist-discuss] Question #2 for my story

Dave Crocker dcrocker at bbiw.net
Sun Mar 22 06:33:42 PDT 2015

On 3/21/2015 10:03 AM, Craig Partridge wrote:
>> If the context postulates an extremely geek guy, unusually savvy in data
>> > comm and compromising security mechanisms -- and such folk have existed
>> > forever, though rare back then and earlier -- then ok.
> I agree -- either the guy (or his buddy -- perhaps he's friends with his
> office's IT guy?) needs to be a serious geek.  But they did exist.  As I
> recall, Novell did well on Novell-certified network engineers... a concept
> Cisco later picked up.

Separate from Linda's clarification, it's might be worth pressing back
on Craig's response a bit.

Even today, the hacking skills needed to develop the details for
compromising a system or a (protected) communication link are pretty
rare.  The population of IT-savvy folk is now quite large, but the
portion of that population with serious hacking skills is still pretty
small.

Mere Novell certification didn't come close, IMO.

Back in the early-/mid-90s, there were far fewer IT folk.  I suspect the
proportion with hacking skills was also smaller.  Not just the raw
numbers, but the percentage was smaller.  I've no data to back this up,
but it's my impression.

So I think that we'd need to postulate that the guy was quite unusual
for that timeframe.

Brandenburg InternetWorking