[mailhist-discuss] Question #2 for my story

Dave Crocker dcrocker at bbiw.net
Fri Mar 20 22:14:10 PDT 2015

On 3/20/2015 9:03 PM, Jack Haverty wrote:
> You're right, it's not a mid-90s consumer market scenario.  But I'm
> assuming that the husband is somewhat of a geek, since the typical
> consumer wouldn't have a clue how to hack into an account.   If he could
> conceivably hack an AOL account to steal mail, he's not a typical consumer.

If the context postulates an extremely geek guy, unusually savvy in data
comm and compromising security mechanisms -- and such folk have existed
forever, though rare back then and earlier -- then ok.

> I'm fuzzy on the timing, but weren't LANs with various servers (e.g.,
> one with a dial-out modem) in use in the mid 90s, especially in small
> office environments (e.g., Netware LANs, Banyan Vines, etc.)?   Such
> LANs often had a server with dial-out capability(a modem) to connect to
> the Internet (whatever that meant), etc.  If the husband worked at such
> a company, he, or the company he worked for, might have put such a LAN
> into his home.

Enterprise and department-level email and file servers on LANs were
relatively popular by the late 80s.  (I think the first commercial LAN
networking -- though not ethernet, which doesn't matter much for this
discussions -- were in the early 80s, along with PCs.

Novell got into the business of selling ethernet cards in order to
promote their servers, and got out after the card business was
established, even though it was highly profitable for them.  It was a
rare example of an organization "sticking to their knitting" as the
management geeks liked to say.

Brandenburg InternetWorking