[mailhist-discuss] Question #2 for my story

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Fri Mar 20 21:03:36 PDT 2015

You're right, it's not a mid-90s consumer market scenario.  But I'm
assuming that the husband is somewhat of a geek, since the typical
consumer wouldn't have a clue how to hack into an account.   If he could
conceivably hack an AOL account to steal mail, he's not a typical consumer.

I'm fuzzy on the timing, but weren't LANs with various servers (e.g.,
one with a dial-out modem) in use in the mid 90s, especially in small
office environments (e.g., Netware LANs, Banyan Vines, etc.)?   Such
LANs often had a server with dial-out capability(a modem) to connect to
the Internet (whatever that meant), etc.  If the husband worked at such
a company, he, or the company he worked for, might have put such a LAN
into his home.

/Jack