[mailhist-discuss] Question #2 for my story

Dave Crocker dcrocker at bbiw.net
Fri Mar 20 18:10:46 PDT 2015

On 3/20/2015 4:57 PM, Jack Haverty wrote:
> If your story line can put the family's computers on a home LAN, the
> scenario you seek was plausible back then.   No need to hack into an
> external account, you can do it all on your home LAN.  Perhaps the AOL
> account is accessed through the home LAN gateway, using its modem for
> dialing in to AOL.   At least that's what would *appear* to be happening.

1.  Home LAN in 1994???  Technologically feasible, of course, but not a
plausible consumer market scenario, IMO.

2.  AOL was access by dial-up modems, in those days.

>> I wonder if this would still work....it's only been about 30 years...

And, of course, LAN network implementations have gotten /much/ better
protections mechansisms since then...

Brandenburg InternetWorking