[mailhist-discuss] Question #2 for my story

Linda Hess linda.hess at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 10:08:38 PDT 2015

To the group members:

I posted a question back in November regarding early use of email. I'm
writing a novel and didn't want to rely on my memory as the only reality
check. My question at the time was, how easy would it have been for a
person (a private user) to go radio-silent on another person in 1994. I got
some good and useful responses, for which I am grateful.

My second question involves the following scenario.

One of my characters, a husband, wants to be sure his wife's emails to a
cerain person do not get through. He wants it to appear to his wife that
her correspondent has dropped out of contact completely.

The year is 1994, and the wife's account is an AOL account (dial-up!).

Does anyone on the list know if it would be possible for someone to hack
the account and redirect emails to a specific person so they don't get
through? Or would there be some easier way, like tinkering with an email
address that someone might not notice but would render the email
undeliverable?

Or is this just too far-fetched for consideration?

Once again, thank you to all who chose to respond!

Linda Hess