[mailhist-discuss] Question about the early use of email

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Wed Nov 19 08:50:11 PST 2014

Hello Linda,

I discuss some of the history of email in this era in "Protocols for Profit: Web and E-mail Technologies as Product and Infrastructure" in The Internet and American Business, edited by William Aspray and Paul Ceruzzi, MIT Press, 2008: 105-158. http://www.tomandmaria.com/Tom/Writing/ProtocolsForProfitDRAFT.pdf

In the 1980s and very early 1990s most public services with email were intended primarily for sending messages to other uses of the same online service – MCI Mail, AOL, Compuserv, BIX, Genie, Prodigy. So people mostly would sign up for the same service if they wanted to send messages to each other. Some business cards would include several different email addresses on different services. These services had their own chat rooms, discussion areas, etc.

There was also a system called FidoNet to pass messages between users of local bulletin boards.

As Craig mentioned, systems gradually grew gateways to exchange messages with each other and with the Internet. MCI Mail and Compuserv both added Internet mail gateways in 1989.

This is described in more detail in my chapter.

Best wishes,

Tom
www.tomandmaria.com/tom