[mailhist-discuss] Question about the early use of email

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Wed Nov 19 05:43:56 PST 2014

Hi Linda:

I’ll hazard a short answer — for a richer answer I recommend dropping a note to John Quarterman.  Or perhaps this note will cause the rest of the list to chime in :-)

1990 is just before a transition — a bunch of email networks are about to go away, being swept away by the rush to the Internet.  But in 1990, they are still active.  The complete list of email networks of the time can be found in Quarterman’s book, “The Matrix” published in 1990 and widely available from used bookstores.

Almost all of those networks served academics or researchers.  So, to your particular perspective, namely a “private user”, the answer is there were not a lot of choices (at least in the US).  Your hypothetical user would likely have access one of three ways:

* Via COMPUSERV- my recollection is that COMPUSERV had an (ugly) way to email Internet users but Quarterman does not describe one.
* The Well — a rather small but vigorous email community centered around northern California — could email to most other computer networks
* Via UUNET — this is the UNIX-to-UNIX dialup network —which by 1990 was used by a wide range of high tech companies.

For COMPUSERV and the Well your user needed a PC or simply a dumb terminal and a modem to dial-in.  Data rates were painfully slow.
Given the logistics of setting up and operating a UUNET/USENET site, a hypothetical user was either a serious techie or used email only at his/her worksite.

Another thing to observe is that email was basically an overnight service on most networks at the time.  That is, unless you exchanged email on the same system, the larger Matrix of email-compatible networks swapped email at night, when dialup phone rates were least expensive.  So your character can’t send an email in mid-afternoon and expect an answer an hour later unless both parties were, say, on COMPUSERV.  Normally, the other party won’t get the email until the next day and you would not expect to see a reply until the day after that….  Only on a limited set of networks would you see near instant delivery (the Internet and BITNET come to mind).  Also, emailing off your service was often painful — by 1990, the Internet, BITNET, UUNET and CSNET were using a consistent format of user at example.com — but other systems did not, and ghastliness resulted if you wanted your email to cross network boundaries (cf. Adams and Fry book “!%@“, — which reads “Bang, Percent, At” or your favorite curseword as appropriate… which described how to bridge the boundaries).

Hope this is useful,

Craig