[mailhist-discuss] Boomerang Mail

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Jan 6 10:45:09 PST 2014

Thought this might be interesting, the latest in email?

http://www.evolvingseo.com/2013/04/20/review-of-yesware-email-tracking/

Way back in the 70s, when a bunch of us were arguing about what email
should be, there was a school of thought that promoted feedback features
like being able to tell when a recipient received, opened, and/or read your
message.   Some email systems in the 70s could do that for mail within a
single machine, but not over the ARPANET.

At MIT, we wanted to use such "acknowledgement" functionality as part of
the interactions between programs on different machines, where servers
could interact over email instead of just over real-time duplex
connections.  Very handy especially for computers that weren't always
online at the same time.  It would have been useful for one server to know
when the other server had begun processing something sent to it in an
email.  This was 1975 or so.

That functionality was excluded due to overwhelming concerns about mail
privacy (for humans, not computers), so it didn't appear in SMTP.

Looks like someone figured out how to add it in 2013....and no, I'm not
using it.   I wonder how you can tell if someone is...

/Jack Haverty