[mailhist-discuss] The first email format "standard"?

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Sat Sep 8 06:30:37 PDT 2012

> I recently saw a reference to RFC 561[1] as a 'standard' and it gave me
> pause.  I hadn't thought it held that position, but that was my first
> year of working on the Arpanet.  RFC 680[2] is sometimes cited with that
> status. Not surprisingly, I had thought RFC 733[3] held the status as
> the first format standard.

When I did my interviews and reading for the email history I wrote for
IEEE Annals, it pretty clear to me that 561 was functioning as the
standard and that discussions about email formats (the RFC 680
attempt that failed, and RFC 724 leading 733) treated it as the
working standard.

Around 1976 a hardcopy compilation of email standards was created (Jon Postel
had to write a two page [hardcopy!] description of how to use MLFL for it)
and I believe RFC 561 was in it (though I'm not sure why I believe that
and cannot find a source, so YMMV).

Thanks!

Craig