[mailhist-discuss] Segments of email history

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu May 31 08:01:04 PDT 2012

On 5/28/2012 1:13 AM, Jack Haverty wrote:
> As a candidate "event with downstream influence", I suggest the ICCC
> '72 - International Conference on Computer Communication, held October
> 24-26, 1972 at the Washington Hilton.

Hmmm.  Your reference to demonstrations of single-machine email accessed
via telnet notwithstanding, I'm hard-pressed to see the '72 Arpanet
Coming Out Party as a milestone for this sort of email history list per se.

What do the rest of you think?

ry first scenario in the booklet is how to send mail to another
> user.

Oh.  I don't remember seeing that, though I was one of the floorwalkers,
there.  (I don't even remember seeing the booklet.)

> "How do I send a message to the guy sitting next to me in
> the ballroom?

Actually, that's how I met Doug Engelbart.  Using the Tenex Talk (or was
it Link?) mechanisms.  1970s instant messaging.

I was in the demo room (basement of the DC Hilton) and needed to ask an
SRI-ARC person a question and he was the only one logged in.  Via the
link I apologized for bothering him and he kept asking me where I was,
after I kept telling him I was in the demo room for the Arpanet show.
He finally asked me where in the room.  He was about 20 feet away...

  Brandenburg InternetWorking