[mailhist-discuss] Segments of email history

Dave Crocker dcrocker at gmail.com
Thu May 24 08:03:25 PDT 2012

On 5/23/2012 7:53 AM, Craig Partridge wrote:
> I think we need to have some rough sense of what we consider a "milestone",
> or we'll get buried in events that sound important but actually didn't make
> a difference in how email evolved.  As the preceding sentence suggests,
> I'd propose that we define a milestone as not just an "important event"
> (per dictionary definition) but one that had clear downstream influence.

Sounds reasonable.

It's still subjective, but gives a pragmatic bit of guidance.

The modification I'll suggest is of, ummmm, retroactive downstream
influence.   For example, some things become iconic.  They don't have
much actual downstream effect, but folks refer back to them as
significant.

The 1978 spam is an example, IMO.  It has become a downstream
referential anchor and so, I believe, should be cited.