[mailhist-discuss] Beginning to record the timeline: a very rough draft

Suzanne Johnson fuhn at pobox.com
Fri May 18 11:26:25 PDT 2012

In the article Dave Crocker wrote for the Washington Post, the
collaborative nature of email development was emphasized.  While I
would usually prefer brevity for an exercise like a timeline, I
believe that may leave out the richness of the collaboration that led
to the development and evolution of what we (mostly) take for granted
today.  The types of dates cited by John Vittal tend to demonstrate
the cross organizational efforts that gave rise to rapid development
and dissemination  of the capability.

I feel the more complete we can make this collection of information,
even if all can't be shown on a timeline,  the easier it will be for
folks in the future to understand the collaboratively complex
evolution of email.

    --Suzanne Johnson