[mailhist-discuss] Administrative/operational milestones

Dave Crocker dcrocker at gmail.com
Fri May 11 08:33:53 PDT 2012

On 4/10/2012 10:36 AM, Suzanne Johnson wrote:
> do you recall if this meeting included attendance by  cc:mail folks?
> While there were eventually gateways to smtp from cc:mail, the naming
> conventions in cc:mail supported use of spaces.  At Intel at this time
> (approx 1986-87), most of the business side of the corp was using
> cc:mail with names including spaces.  Those folks could not be reached
> by mail from the Internet.  cc:mail also seemed to have had a
> deleterious effect on network architecture, especially for a world-wide
> organization.  Imagine a world-wide bridged network with odd
> instabilities caused by the mail system.  The first router for general
> purpose use came into Intel for use in upgrading the CSnet connection
> from PhoneNet.

Getting back to the example of Intel, I think Craig and now Suzanne have
opened the door to a number of administrative/operations milestones,
distinct from technical ones.  (Commercial might or might not include
technical innovation, of course.)

I know it was a big deal when HP standardized on Internet mail (with
UPenn's PMDF for relaying.)  I don't know whether that counted as the
first trans-national corporation's adoption of a public email
technology, but it's the first that I knew about.  This was roughly
1986, the same timeframe as Suzanne notes for Intel.

The question is whether we should look for these kind of milestones?  If
so, which ones?