[mailhist-discuss] Segments of email history

Dave Crocker dcrocker at gmail.com
Fri May 11 08:19:21 PDT 2012

On 4/10/2012 1:18 PM, Craig Partridge wrote:
> Addendum -- since we're often asked who was responsible -- from where I sat,
> the key driving folks were Dick Edmiston of CSNET and Mark Horton from the
> UUCP project -- with due credit to Jake Feinler of SRI for organizing the meeting
> and being supportive of the result.

Thought it worth commenting explicitly about the choices I made about
this issue, for the draft timeline.

The addressing technology was not new.  I think that what was
significant was the group's decision to apply it -- specifically use of
domain names in addresses -- across a broad set of otherwise-independent
and previously quite-heterogenous mail services.

The routing technology /was/ new around that time and wasn't previously
cited in the list.  In reality, it's significance wasn't the group's
decision to use it, I think. I don't think it had a choice, given the
addressing decision.  Arguably, the existence of MX was what enabled the
group's decision.