[mailhist-discuss] Segments of email history

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Sat Mar 31 10:54:14 PDT 2012

Good point Craig,

Here's my own quick and dirty list of milestone accomplishments/capabilities
that need to be pinned down and dated. I'm not as knowledgeable on the
specifics of Arpanet email as many of you. So I won't try to put names by
these.

Underlying this list is a sense that we need push beyond Internet/ARPANET
email, which is relatively well documented (thanks to RFCs and the efforts
already made by Craig and others to publish this history), to look at the
use of email and other kinds of email system. We know much less about
internal corporate email systems, the email capabilities of office
automation systems, and commercial timesharing email services.

"Firsts" would seem to apply to (in approximate order)

*	Pre-email electronic message transmission, including the suggestion
that SAGE operators could hack personal messages into data streams, etc.
*	Email on timesharing systems, single computer.
*	Header fields
*	First email reader
*	Network email.
*	Commercial offering of email by timesharing service
*	Integration of email reader, message sender, and composition
functions. (Not sure if "Reply" was part of this).
*	Integrated address book
*	Confirmed delivery over network
*	Unread message recall capability
*	Client/server email, with messages downloaded for local processing,
filing, response on a different computer from the mailbox store.
*	GUI for client
*	Email systems offered to smaller businesses by office automation
vendors (DEC, Wang, IBM, etc -- not clear what they had when in late 1970s)
*	Notes-style advanced database server integrating email with other
collaboration tools
*	Email service targeted at consumers
*	Email for personal computer LANs
*	Major global company rolls out email as main mode of internal
communication (IBM? DEC?)
*	Rich text
*	Integrated encryption
*	Asian character sets
*	Attachments
*	Inline images
*	Gateways between commercial email services

It's possible that there are some areas in which Internet email does not
claim the "first." For example, it's conceivable (and I have no knowledge of
this) that IBM's internal system might have offered the same simple global
addressing feature as Craig's "Seamless email relaying" prior to 1987.
Likewise I wouldn't be surprised to learn that proprietary systems provided
capabilities similar to MIME years before this was standardized for Internet
email. There are also some important capabilities that Internet email still
doesn't do very well, which why the market for Exchange and Notes still
exists.

Also, of course, "firsts" are not the only things that matter in history --
so things like SMTP are still important technologies even if it turns out to
be hard to attach a "first" to them.

Tom