[mailhist-discuss] Segments of email history

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sat Mar 31 03:09:56 PDT 2012

Hi folks,

Apologies for taking so long to send an inaugural message on content; blame the
IETF of course.  (And greetings from Paris Orly, BTW.)

I'd like to see whether we can develop a documented timeline of significant
milestones in the development of Internet Mail.  The Computer History Museum is
interested in using the result.

We should try to agree on some very simple criteria for "significant",
preferably beyond "we liked it".  That said, this isn't a statistics exercise.
However list consensus is the final arbiter, of course.

As for "documented" I am assuming that any first-person document of its time is
sufficient, or multiple, consonant oral reports from principals.

I also think we should create some thematic partitioning with multiple lines,
such as:

    1.  User agents

    2.  Message transfer

    3.  Value-add (e.g., mailing lists)

    4.  Standards

You won't be surprised that I could imagine distinguishing between a
message/format timeline versus a user-software timeline, but I thought I'd ask
how you folks feel about that.

My current thought is that commercialization is a phase along a line, rather
than getting its own line.

Once we agree on the categories, we can start populating them.

Ok.  Start shooting.

d/

ps.  Pro forma reminder:  This is a public list.

   Brandenburg InternetWorking