[mailhist-discuss] Tops-10 email history (dates to 1973)

Suzanne Johnson fuhn at pobox.com
Thu Jun 28 08:13:23 PDT 2012

Recalling the impact that the distribution tape of Tops-10 email had
on Intel (it was the company's first email system, and was installed
on engineering computers in 1978), I've done some checking to get a
bit more info.

I spoke with Jane Small, who was at DCRT/NIH t the time. and helped
with the distributions.

According to her memories, the program was written by  Glenn Ricart
in 1973.  Distribution began informally immediately upon completion.
DCRT's attitude was very much community oriented...if someone
requested a distribution or copy of the software, it was sent.

Distribution became more formal in the '80s and continued until about
1989, when the DEC-10 was being phased out in favor of Vaxes.  Jane
recalls participation in various DEC User Group meetings  during the
'80's and possibly incrreased visibility for the software via that
means

Glenn Ricart's Wikipedia entry mentions his 1973 work.  I'd like to
talk with Glenn to get more details, such as language, etc.  If
anyone on the list has a current email address for him, please
contact me off list and let me know.

Jane notes that the program did not talk between machines (ours were
connected by DECnet, and that was not recognized by the program).
So, it was an email system designed for one computer, which was the
configuration at the time for DCRT.