[mailhist-discuss] Definition of email

John Vittal jjvittal at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 11 12:55:59 PDT 2012

This is why, imho, that we should first look at the usage of email in
common parlance.  For example,
-  I'll email you about that.
-  I'll send you an email about possible times.
-  I want to read my email.
-  What system do you use for email?  Oh, Thunderbird (or Outlook or
Apple Mail or Eudora or whatever).
and the like.

This is why I differentiated an electronic message (email; the object)
from the system that creates and manipulates email (the plural) and
ancillary services (e.g. address book, servers, etc.) that are part of
the process.

While I can't disagree with what others have said, I think that when
people talk about email, they in general talk about the object and not
the system/service.  Just like when one talks about a letter, we talk
about the object, and not the process/system/service that is used to
create the letter and get it from your typewriter (or computer) to it's
intended destination.

Once we (if we haven't already) decide if we want the above distinction,
then we can go for a more formal definition.

If this isn't an apt distinction, could somebody enlighten me?

Thanks,
John