[mailhist-discuss] Definition of email

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Jun 7 15:11:18 PDT 2012

Hi Ray!   Been a long time....

I like your one-sentence definition.   It's broad and loose enough to
contain many of the early implementations,  e.g.  CTSS et al.   It
even includes messages such as the one I mentioned earlier between
users and computer operators back in batch environments.

In writing a definition,  we're describing a line-in-the-sand,
separating what's included from what's excluded.   So,  if someone
thinks that simple single-computer systems such as CTSS aren't
"email",  your definition doesn't work.    Personally,  I like a broad
definition that captures the essence of this thing we struggle to
define, starting from the most primitive beginnings.

Two suggestions for refinement...

I would tend to exclude voice-mail systems of any vintage.   If you
believe that the ATT ESS was a computer,  then users with telephones
and/or tape answering machines back in the 60s were doing email.
Perhaps a qualifying phrase "...as an electronic alternative to paper
messages" would put voice-mail on the outside of the line.

Similarly,  I'd tend to want to exclude bulletin-board type of
systems,   where a message is sent to a group of users where the
sender doesn't know exactly who will receive it.   Perhaps replacing
"mailbox" with "personal mailbox"?   But I can see where such things
might be considered to be "email".

IMHO:

Electronic mail (Email) is a service that allows a computer user to
send messages to the personal mailboxes of other computer users for
later reading, as an electronic alternative to paper messages.

Of course we can never agree on the wording without first agreeing on
which systems are on which side of the line.

/Jack
Point Arena, CA