[mailhist-discuss] Definition of email

John Vittal jjvittal at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 7 06:54:58 PDT 2012

Here are some ramblings.  (Sorry I've been too busy to participate in
the conversation to date.)

The following differs pretty significantly from those that Dave
summarizes below.  It separates email (the object) from the system that
manipulates that object.  Which is also pretty significantly different
than the Wikipedia definition <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email>.

An electronic message (email) to my mind is a digital object that is
defined by property value pairs (as noted in RFC733 and its followers).
Depending on how it is structured, it could be construed as having
contents and an envelope, however that doesn't necessarily hold for
memos and postcards if you're drawing equivalencies.  The object
includes the principal message (which may be unstructured text, but
which may also be highly formatted also (e.g. based on html) and
therefore having some structure) and any attachments (appendicies,
exhibits, etc., whatever the name you wish to use at the moment) thereto.

An email system is a set of programs on various computers that provides
services that allows a user to create, send, receive, and store email,
and includes all of the ancillary operations (e.g. an address book) to
facilitate those operations on a distributed, networked, heterogeneous
set of computers.

Thoughts?

John