[mailhist-discuss] FW: SIGCIS in Boston Magazine profile of "email inventor"

Dave Crocker dcrocker at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 13:02:07 PDT 2012

On 6/4/2012 4:48 PM, Terry Gray wrote:
> I agree that the async nature of email is an important element to
> include, in order to distinguish it from chat or synchronous
> conferencing, e.g. BBN's PLANET system of the mid-70s.
>
> To Craig's point, I don't think whether or not the recipient saw the
> recipient names detracts from Dave's point:  the sender had to
> specify them, and that was an important differentiator from a
> document sitting on an ftp server...

Thanks for noticing that.  I actually phrase the criteria intentionally
to avoid statements of how the information is encoded, thereby /not/
distinguishing between addressing in the "envelope" vs. in the "header".
  Rather, it's the specification, presence and use of the addressing that
matter.

Sometimes, early mail systems did not show the recipient address to the
recipi