[mailhist-discuss] FW: SIGCIS in Boston Magazine profile of "email inventor"

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Sun Jun 3 12:35:48 PDT 2012

> I'll offer my own:
>
>       An electronic message (email) is a collection of data, packaged to =
>
> specify one or more authors and specifying one or more recipients.
>
> I think the concept of authors and recipients is primary.  Otherwise, =
>
> it's a document.  I don't think the nature of the content matters nor =
>
> that any other meta-data like Subject are essential.  (I've previously =
>
> done some design that mapped between 'email' and 'document' and found it =
>
> useful for both.  This derived from efforts in collaboration space.)
>
> Thoughts?

My immediate thoughts, which may be the wrong ones are that much early
email would fail this standard.  Some early email lacked a To: field
(if you got it, it was for you).  Another way to state this is that
the sender had to specify where it went, but the receiver didn't have
to know the recipient list... which suggests this definition conflates
the data being delivered with properties of the envelope that accompanied
it in transit.

As I say, may be all wet -- just a quick gut feel.

Thanks!

Craig