[mailhist-discuss] FW: SIGCIS in Boston Magazine profile of "email inventor"

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sun Jun 3 05:31:17 PDT 2012

On 6/2/2012 3:37 PM, Thomas Haigh wrote:
>    the term email by treating it as a contraction of “electronic
> mail,” whereas he thinks it has a very specific definition, until now
> secret, met only by a tiny subset of electronic mail systems.

Folks,

This reminds that we should settle on a working definition of email.

There was some background discussion for Ton's article intended to be
published  in the Post, and I'll let him re-post it here.

I'll offer my own:

      An electronic message (email) is a collection of data, packaged to
specify one or more authors and specifying one or more recipients.

I think the concept of authors and recipients is primary.  Otherwise,
it's a document.  I don't think the nature of the content matters nor
that any other meta-data like Subject are essential.  (I've previously
done some design that mapped between 'email' and 'document' and found it
useful for both.  This derived from efforts in collaboration space.)

Thoughts?

  Brandenburg InternetWorking