[mailhist-discuss] FW: SIGCIS in Boston Magazine profile of "email inventor"

Suzanne Johnson FUHN at POBOX.COM
Sun Jun 3 06:34:35 PDT 2012

On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 08:27:05 +0200, Dave Crocker wrote:
> On 6/2/2012 3:37 PM, Thomas Haigh wrote:
>> FYI, the Boston Magazine article on Ayyadurai is published.
>>
>> http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/2012/05/shiva-ayyaduri-email-us-postal-service/

I couldn't possibly be the only person who opened the article and noted
the title "Return to Sender".

Doesn't that kind of say it all?

The larger take away for me is that we really need to do a better job
of preserving and presenting Arpanet/Internet history, beyond the
relatively few iconic achievements currently known to the public.

Along that line, in other fields of historical preservation, important
events are frequently re-enacted.  Would it be possible to consider
doing that for the 1972 first demo of email?  There are Tenex emulators
around on the Internet currently and likely volunteers who would work on
such a demo.  Lots of comparisons could be shown including cost/speed of
computers then vs. now and exactly what was available then vs. now.

    --Suzanne

p.s.  do you have a URL for the Columbia Journalism Review column?