[mailhist-discuss] Segments of email history

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sat Jun 2 14:52:34 PDT 2012

> I would like to know more about the 1972 conference..was it invitation
> only?  Only CS and Engr participants?  US or world-wide invitees?

In 1972, "computer communications" mostly meant mainframes and
terminals connected by leased lines. The ICCC '72 was maybe the first
conference with a specific theme of communications and computers.   As
I recall, it was not a research or academic conference, but rather a
public industrial/commercial engineering event, run by IEEE.  The
demonstration system in the ballroom was an eye-opener for the
conference attendees, who were from the "real world" seeing this
advanced stuff for the first time.  This was not a "trade show" - the
Arpanet demo was the only thing in the ballroom.  I suspect there was
some kind of presentation or session about the demo to tell conference
attendees what it was all about, but since I didn't attend the
conference itself (too busy building that demo...), I don't know what
they were told except for that "Scenarios" booklet, which is where the
email usage is presented.   IEEE had international membership,
although the bulk of the members were probably US at the time.  I
don't recall if the demo was open to the public or restricted to
conference attendees - probably the latter I suspect.  It wasn't a
very big room.

Good summary here:

http://www.historyofcomputercommunications.info/Book/4/4.12-ICCC%20Demonstration71-72.html

/Jack