[mailhist-discuss] Segments of email history

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sat Jun 2 15:07:39 PDT 2012

On 6/2/2012 9:37 PM, Suzanne Johnson wrote:
> I would like to know more about the 1972 conference..was it invitation
> only?

It was at the 1st International Conference on Computers and
Communication, at the Washington DC Hilton.

A large room in the basement was taken for the demonstration with a TIP
(terminal concentrator and IMP packet switch) and 2 56Kbps lines
attached to the Arpanet.  I was told the budget for the demo was US$ 1M.

It was the first formal, public demonstration of the net.

I don't recall any special access security and I believe the conference
was open, so theoretically anyone who wanted to could come.

  Brandenburg InternetWorking