[mailhist-discuss] Segments of email history

Suzanne Johnson FUHN at POBOX.COM
Sat Jun 2 12:37:26 PDT 2012

On Thu, 31 May 2012 17:01:04 +0200, Dave Crocker wrote:
> On 5/28/2012 1:13 AM, Jack Haverty wrote:
>> As a candidate "event with downstream influence", I suggest the ICCC
>> '72 - International Conference on Computer Communication, held
>> October
>> 24-26, 1972 at the Washington Hilton.
>
> Hmmm.  Your reference to demonstrations of single-machine email
> accessed
> via telnet notwithstanding, I'm hard-pressed to see the '72 Arpanet
> Coming Out Party as a milestone for this sort of email history list
> per se.
>
> What do the rest of you think?

First thanks to Thomas Haigh for the pointer to the latest email
related article.  I might not have seen it otherwise.

And, indeed LINK was the Tenex capability similar to IM (there was also
an ADVISE, but that's another topic).  I loved Tenex for capabilities
like those, they made working with remote users SO much easier.

Regarding thoughts on the 1972 conference.  I did not know about this
conference, but it filled in some blanks for me as I read about it.  I
did not come to the Arpanet via CS, but rather via  Chemistry.  When I
joined Sumex-AIM (Stanford) in about 1973, we had just become the first
non-DOD funded facility on the Arpanet and we were treading our way
carefully.  When several of us chemists presented a paper at an Am Chem
Soc meeting in 1975, the person moderating the session spoke of the
Arpanet as "a solution looking for a problem...".  So, there was some
considerable feeling outside of CS that it was not clear how the Arpanet
would or could be used.  Our paper, in addition to discussing chemical
computation and AI also discussed the utility of community wide
communication.

I would like to know more about the 1972 conference..was it invitation
only?  Only CS and Engr participants?  US or world-wide invitees?

So, while we have those iconic engineering events that are fairly well
documented, we may also need to document certain events of an
administrative or possibly community-building nature, like this 1972
meeting.  It may bring us closer to understanding and explaining how we
got from there to here.

   --Suzanne