[mailhist-discuss] TELEMAIL Electronic Mail Service (11/77 article)

Dave Crocker dcrocker at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 10:58:42 PDT 2012

On 7/14/2012 9:59 AM, Suzanne Johnson wrote:> I've come across a page
from the "Stanford Campus  Computing
> Bulletin" dated 11/77.
>
> It contains an article on "a unique computing resource available on
> EDUNET:  the TELEMAIL electronic mail system developed by the
> University of Wisconsin's Madison Academic Computing Center (MACC)."
>
> The article contains two examples from the MACC  News about how
> TELEMAIL might be used.  >

Suzanne,

Thanks for posting this.

Telemail was the email product for the Telenet commercial packet
service, founded by Larry Roberts and Barry Wessler, who had overseen
the early Arpanet work at Arpa.

It was a regular, centralized email service, with basic functions common
at the time.

(Around 1979 Telemail hired me to write a specification for an email
submission protocol.  They didn't pursue the capability, however.)