[mailhist-discuss] other network mail systems

Tom Van Vleck thvv at multicians.org
Thu Apr 5 13:38:38 PDT 2012

I know of two.. the IBM "internal network" and the Tandem internal mail system.

My knowledge of the IBM network comes from Usenet posts on the subject by Lynn Wheeler.
The VNET network had its origin as a file transfer protocol that ran on CP/CMS in the early 70s.
The same software was later used for BITNET.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSCS

The Tandem mail system used Tandem's Exchange networking, which provided a single system image file system spanning multiple computers.
It was written about 1979; by the time I joined Tandem in 1981, there were more than a thousand users on dozens of systems.
A gateway between the Tandem mail system and SMTP mail on the Internet was don in the late 80s.
I can provide more information on the Tandem mail system if this is interesting to anyone.