[mailhist-discuss] Segments of email history

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Wed Apr 4 11:01:37 PDT 2012

A couple of follow up points, as I had systems in mind for some of my
milestones but not all:

For "GUI" I think PARC's Laurel is clearly the first, at least if you accept
the general consensus that the Alto had the first GUI. It would be
interesting to know if Laurel was also the first to download messages to
local storage on a personal workstation for filing, replying, etc. Could
conceivably be called the first offline mail reader, though in practical
terms I don't off hand know if the Alto itself would be usable when
disconnected from the LAN.

Integrated address book: I strongly suspect that would be in a pre-Eudora
corporate email system of some kind, maybe IBM PROFS or something similar.
That's just a hunch as it would be much easier for a system inside a single
organization to maintain and integrate this. Mention of Eudora reminds me
that this should probably be split between local, user-maintained address
book and address book provided as a search mechanism onto a database of user
accounts.

Recall message prior to reading: I meant delete a message from the
recipient's mailbox after sending but before reading.

First email service aimed at consumers: Compuserve Information Service and
The Source were both 1979, both aimed at consumers, and both included email.
"Aimed at consumers" is reflected in the marketing, pricing, and the fact
that CIS was priced at $5 an hour, a fraction of regular Compuserve daytime
pricing, to use up wasted computer time on evenings and weekends. One might
also consider Prestel in the UK, Minitel in France, and other videotex
services but I think these were later.

Tom